This quick and easy recipe shows how oven-roasted asparagus has intense fresh flavor. These spring veggie faves, combined with the sweetness of roasted red peppers and shallots, are set off by the fruity tartness of balsamic vinegar. Toasted pine nuts add a touch of buttery texture.
2 pounds fresh asparagus, cleaned with ends snapped off
3 to 4 large shallots, peeled and sliced lengthwise
2 red peppers, roasted, skinned and sliced lengthwise
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt (to taste)
fresh-ground black pepper (to taste)
2 T balsamic vinegar
(optional) ¼ to ½ C toasted pine nuts
Prep Roasted Red Peppers
- Set oven broiler on high.
- Wash, core and halve red peppers, flatten on a sheet pan, skin-side up and place on top rack.
- When skins are almost completely blackened, remove and cover with a towel to steam.
- Remove burnt skins and cut into ¼” strips, length-wise.
- Set aside but keep warm.
Or, you can buy them in a jar all ready to go!
Prep Pine Nuts
Toast pine nuts until golden in a toaster oven, or using a small frying pan over low heat. Set aside as a garnish.
- Peel and slice shallots length-wise in wide strips.
- Clean and snap the ends off asparagus and combine with shallots on a warmed sheet pan.
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over both, toss to coat.
- Add sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and roast, shaking often, until asparagus is tender and lightly browned.
- Combine oven-roasted asparagus, shallots and warmed roasted red peppers, drizzle with balsamic vinegar to taste. Check seasoning, garnish with toasted pine nuts and serve immediately.